Discussion: Ideas how to recreate "Spiderman 2" web swinging system?

HeyItzDannie

Jan 2, 2019
Israel
Roblox
HeyItzDanniee
Hello, this is my first post here. Just wanted to talk with some scripters here, share ideas. Most of my friends know nothing about scripting so I hope we could have a nice discussion. :)

So about a 1-2 months ago, I played a swinging game, like rope physics game. It reminded me about "Spiderman 2" game, the old good game with the good swinging system. How webs attach to objects. I thought trying to recreate it in ROBLOX. I had an idea using a Rope Constraint but it works bad with the Character. (ROBLOX has some bad physics lol rip).
I thought if I ever managed to make myself a rope (web) that I could swing with I could check the speed of the character.. if its above 20 for example.. a swinging animation would play.. if its below 20 or 0 then a hanging animation would play.. and if the player if freefalling from the aim there would be a falling animation.

I wanted to know if any of you have a good idea of what could you do to make it work. That would be really cool.
I am a pretty basic developer, I developed a nice gun viewmodel. Grenades. Suits. Space game. I wanted to challenge myself and create the web swinging system similar to Spiderman 2.

- Dannie.

MythicalShade

Nov 10, 2018
Roblox
MythicalShade
Hello, this is my first post here. Just wanted to talk with some scripters here, share ideas. Most of my friends know nothing about scripting so I hope we could have a nice discussion. :)

So about a 1-2 months ago, I played a swinging game, like rope physics game. It reminded me about "Spiderman 2" game, the old good game with the good swinging system. How webs attach to objects. I thought trying to recreate it in ROBLOX. I had an idea using a Rope Constraint but it works bad with the Character. (ROBLOX has some bad physics lol rip).
I thought if I ever managed to make myself a rope (web) that I could swing with I could check the speed of the character.. if its above 20 for example.. a swinging animation would play.. if its below 20 or 0 then a hanging animation would play.. and if the player if freefalling from the aim there would be a falling animation.

I wanted to know if any of you have a good idea of what could you do to make it work. That would be really cool.
I am a pretty basic developer, I developed a nice gun viewmodel. Grenades. Suits. Space game. I wanted to challenge myself and create the web swinging system similar to Spiderman 2.

- Dannie.
I think constraints could work fine, this guy used them in his video and made a successful swinging system. He even gives his code in the description, which I'm sure you could study and twinker with it to do what you're attempting.

Reactions: 1 person

HeyItzDannie

Jan 2, 2019
Israel
Roblox
HeyItzDanniee

- Dannie.
I think constraints could work fine, this guy used them in his video and made a successful swinging system. He even gives his code in the description, which I'm sure you could study and twinker with it to do what you're attempting.
That script is not working anymore, because of FE issues. Tried everything. I know how it works tho and I made something similar to that. Too bad it wont work anymore :/

MythicalShade

Nov 10, 2018
Roblox
MythicalShade

- Dannie.
That script is not working anymore, because of FE issues. Tried everything. I know how it works tho and I made something similar to that. Too bad it wont work anymore :/
I forgot how long ago that was made. It's now not only broken due to FE, but due to constraint changes. Unfortunately I'm horrible with constraints and I'm not sure how to fix the constraint part of it. Hope you get your other script working.

proclet

Jun 4, 2018
Roblox
proclet
The solution is rather simple. Go to line 63 : local Att0 = Instance.new('Attachment',Player.Character.LeftHand). Replace "LeftHand" with "HumanoidRootPart". Should work.
Also, I would advice tuning down the Force variable (line 77). It's way too high and it will give the character too much impulse as it is. Try disabling it for starters and then experiment with different values.

Reactions: 1 person

HeyItzDannie

Jan 2, 2019
Israel
Roblox
HeyItzDanniee
The solution is rather simple. Go to line 63 : local Att0 = Instance.new('Attachment',Player.Character.LeftHand). Replace "LeftHand" with "HumanoidRootPart". Should work.
Also, I would advice tuning down the Force variable (line 77). It's way too high and it will give the character too much impulse as it is. Try disabling it for starters and then experiment with different values.
Dude... dude... this worked.. it works. Thank you so much! lmao

proclet

Jun 4, 2018
Roblox
proclet
Yeah but unfortunately, it doesn't look realistic, as the rope will be connected to the torso, instead of the hand. Will get back as soon as I figure it out.

HeyItzDannie

Jan 2, 2019
Israel
Roblox
HeyItzDanniee
Yeah but unfortunately, it doesn't look realistic, as the rope will be connected to the torso, instead of the hand. Will get back as soon as I figure it out.
Oh, I think I can find a way to do something about it. Thanks.