Gauging Interest. | Roblox Forum
Welcome to the Forums!
Join thousands of other Roblox members with a free account.
Create Forum Account

Gauging Interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh99er

Dec 13, 2019
Roblox
Sh99er
Would anyone here be interested in playing a game (mainly hosted via forums/Discord) called The Room. idk the genre, chaotic/social game/RPG? If you want a 'quick' summary it is:

You start of in a room with 1 other person. Both of you will PM me with your choice: Truce or betray. If you both pick Truce then you both get 1 point, if you both pick betray you get 0 points but if one of you betrays and the other truces then the traitor gets 2 points and the loser loses 2 (but on day 1 the loser will lose 1 point).

You all start with 2 points. If you get to 0 points you're dead. Once someone gets to 10 points The Door will open (somewhere) and you must enter it to escape and win! You can also win via LMS, which means you must be the last person alive.

This game focuses heavily on player interactions, exploration, messing about with random stuff you find etc
Post automatically merged:

(Some things I forgot to mention; There are 3 phases which rotate in this order: Room, Exploration then Night. Every player also gets a unique role)

Last edited:

PokyStuffed

Exemplar Member
Oct 9, 2019
the place where you least expect
Roblox
poky_stuffed
This game isn't balanced at all for 1v1 (how does it work for more than 2 people anyway?). Everyone is going to spam betray because there are no benefits otherwise. Betray and betray does nothing, and betray + truce betray has the advantage. So no one would want to risk trucing because they would have the potential to lose a ton of points. Therefore the game would get stuck.

The only way I see this working is with more than 2 people so there's actually a downside of betraying (not earning any points before someone else gets to 10). In that case does betray mean you betray everyone else and truce means you truce everyone else? Seems like the only reasonable idea, because you would both gain and lose points.

Another problem is that it's way easier to die than win at the moment. If you follow my multiplayer suggestion above, the system will be weighted more towards losing points, so everyone's going to die.

The final problem is related to the first. Once some people die off and only 2 are left, the person with less points is going to choose betray every time, because truce would help the winning person get closer to ten. Therefore, the person with more points will also choose betray every time in anticipation.

Clearly, there are some major structural issues.

How would I improve the game?:

Change the starting points to approx. 3/10 the max amount, increase the max amount based on the amount of players, give the traitor 1 point instead of 2 and take away 1 point from the loser, and award 2 points instead of 1 for a successful truce.

This way, if the number of betrayers and the number of trucers are equal, both sides will roughly have earned an equal amount of points. This part of the game is now balanced. It is still primarily luck based though. If there are less trucers the betrayers get more points, and if there are less betrayers, the trucers get more points. (Betrayers still have the advantage in an equal scenario though, because betrayers get a point for every trucer, while trucers only get points for trucers besides themselves.)

Why did I not set the starting points to half the max amount? Because in an equal scenario, the game favors the generation of points for both sides. You can still play around with the percentage though.

This isn't a solution at all though. When it boils down to few players, betray still much holds the advantage, and the game will most likely stall for eternity. And as I explained above, betrayers STILL have a slight upside even with a bunch of people.

----------------------------------------------------------

Overall, you can make things A LOT more balanced, but it still won't be perfect. The concept of the game is doomed.
Now I seriously hope I understood the game right lol.

Sh99er

Dec 13, 2019
Roblox
Sh99er
This game isn't balanced at all for 1v1 (how does it work for more than 2 people anyway?). Everyone is going to spam betray because there are no benefits otherwise. Betray and betray does nothing, and betray + truce betray has the advantage. So no one would want to risk trucing because they would have the potential to lose a ton of points. Therefore the game would get stuck.

The only way I see this working is with more than 2 people so there's actually a downside of betraying (not earning any points before someone else gets to 10). In that case does betray mean you betray everyone else and truce means you truce everyone else? Seems like the only reasonable idea, because you would both gain and lose points.

Another problem is that it's way easier to die than win at the moment. If you follow my multiplayer suggestion above, the system will be weighted more towards losing points, so everyone's going to die.

The final problem is related to the first. Once some people die off and only 2 are left, the person with less points is going to choose betray every time, because truce would help the winning person get closer to ten. Therefore, the person with more points will also choose betray every time in anticipation.

Clearly, there are some major structural issues.

How would I improve the game?:

Change the starting points to approx. 3/10 the max amount, increase the max amount based on the amount of players, give the traitor 1 point instead of 2 and take away 1 point from the loser, and award 2 points instead of 1 for a successful truce.

This way, if the number of betrayers and the number of trucers are equal, both sides will roughly have earned an equal amount of points. This part of the game is now balanced. It is still primarily luck based though. If there are less trucers the betrayers get more points, and if there are less betrayers, the trucers get more points. (Betrayers still have the advantage in an equal scenario though, because betrayers get a point for every trucer, while trucers only get points for trucers besides themselves.)

Why did I not set the starting points to half the max amount? Because in an equal scenario, the game favors the generation of points for both sides. You can still play around with the percentage though.

This isn't a solution at all though. When it boils down to few players, betray still much holds the advantage, and the game will most likely stall for eternity. And as I explained above, betrayers STILL have a slight upside even with a bunch of people.

----------------------------------------------------------

Overall, you can make things A LOT more balanced, but it still won't be perfect. The concept of the game is doomed.
Now I seriously hope I understood the game right lol.
Bro 😂 thats just a summary, it’s not the whole game. And it is usually 8 playeda large minimum. I currently have 10 players signed up.

If you want the full game’s explanation/stuff:

PokyStuffed

Exemplar Member
Oct 9, 2019
the place where you least expect
Roblox
poky_stuffed

Sh99er

Dec 13, 2019
Roblox
Sh99er
Bro 😂 thats just a summary, it’s not the whole game. And it is usually 8 playeda large minimum. I currently have 10 players signed up.

If you want the full game’s explanation/stuff:
welp. better tell me the whole story or I'm gonna rant lol
The whole game example is on the link. Or u can join the discord and get an easy description

Status
Not open for further replies.
General
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    InsertDeadMemeHere InsertDeadMemeHere: what