Welcome to the Forums!
Join thousands of other Roblox members with a free account.
Create Forum Account

How do I make a Code Redemption Thing?

• This website was created by Roblox members to replace the official forums (because Roblox shut them down) Join us if you like Roblox!

AbeTGT

Jul 31, 2020
Planet Earth
Roblox
AbeTGT
Discord
Abe#8275
Hello everyone,
I was thinking how to make a code thing, but what you're thinking is possibly different.
Like (for an example) Piggy Store has DLC codes that you can redeem when you buy a product, and that can be used to redeem in game items or currency.

(EDIT: For example, you can see on the image attached that there is a little card that says "EXCLUSIVE DLC CODE" and when they scratch it, it reveals a code that can be used to redeem in game items or currency.)

But I want to make it so that only one person can redeem it, and when somebody redeems it, BOOM! Nobody can use the code again and they get what they want (like Coins).

One problem though: I know how to script... but this? I don't understand how you can update it on all servers. Possibly Datastore? But I don't know how that would work.

If you know how, please comment below.
Thanks!
~ AbeTGT

Reactions: Prowood02

AbeTGT

Jul 31, 2020
Planet Earth
Roblox
AbeTGT
Discord
Abe#8275
I need this thing too, theres only one way to get a answer as far as I know. Do a google search for a guide to do this.
lol ok, I don't know what to type on Google... and so far I have no results. Also if you have a point please comment.

CallMeKY

Ultra
Feb 25, 2018
Maine, USA
Roblox
CallMeKY
Discord
CallMeKY#5012
Hello everyone,
I was thinking how to make a code thing, but what you're thinking is possibly different.
Like (for an example) Piggy Store has DLC codes that you can redeem when you buy a product, and that can be used to redeem in game items or currency.

(EDIT: For example, you can see on the image attached that there is a little card that says "EXCLUSIVE DLC CODE" and when they scratch it, it reveals a code that can be used to redeem in game items or currency.)

But I want to make it so that only one person can redeem it, and when somebody redeems it, BOOM! Nobody can use the code again and they get what they want (like Coins).

One problem though: I know how to script... but this? I don't understand how you can update it on all servers. Possibly Datastore? But I don't know how that would work.

Thanks!
~ AbeTGT
I'm not really sure what the point of this is.. why not just grant the reward on purchase? Or do you want people to be able to give out unused codes? In the case of trading codes, that seems like opening a can of scams.Also, trying to create one giant data store for codes, even with the higher data cap, just isn't realistic without using hacky data store tricks. If anyone's doing this, they're most likely running an external server that saves every code, who purchased it, who redeemed it, etc. In order to make that scalable you'd likely need to pay for a service. What most games do is create a single data store for codes everyone can use until a specific date. Especially with the higher data cap, they can save a history of tens of thousands of codes and never worry about space or creating multiple data stores for the same purpose.

Another option would be to use "vouchers" instead of codes, which would be items in an inventory you could trade through a GUI. Use them from the inventory (with a confirmation prompt), trade them for other stuff, or give them away. This would also let you save them right with each players data, removing the need for a possibly more complicated system.

Reactions: AbeTGT and Cactus

AbeTGT

Jul 31, 2020
Planet Earth
Roblox
AbeTGT
Discord
Abe#8275
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
~ AbeTGT
I'm not really sure what the point of this is.. why not just grant the reward on purchase? Or do you want people to be able to give out unused codes? In the case of trading codes, that seems like opening a can of scams.Also, trying to create one giant data store for codes, even with the higher data cap, just isn't realistic without using hacky data store tricks. If anyone's doing this, they're most likely running an external server that saves every code, who purchased it, who redeemed it, etc. In order to make that scalable you'd likely need to pay for a service. What most games do is create a single data store for codes everyone can use until a specific date. Especially with the higher data cap, they can save a history of tens of thousands of codes and never worry about space or creating multiple data stores for the same purpose.

Another option would be to use "vouchers" instead of codes, which would be items in an inventory you could trade through a GUI. Use them from the inventory (with a confirmation prompt), trade them for other stuff, or give them away. This would also let you save them right with each players data, removing the need for a possibly more complicated system.
Ok, but if you don't know what I mean, I mean a code that only one person can use, once.
(EDIT: https://playpiggy.net/pages/dlc-codes)
Post automatically merged:

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
~ AbeTGT
What most games do is create a single data store for codes everyone can use until a specific date. Especially with the higher data cap, they can save a history of tens of thousands of codes and never worry about space or creating multiple data stores for the same purpose.
- Yes, but that's just like the plain old redeeming codes system. Also my game will probably never get that big, I was just wondering if it's possible.

Last edited:

CallMeKY

Ultra
Feb 25, 2018
Maine, USA
Roblox
CallMeKY
Discord
CallMeKY#5012
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
~ AbeTGT

Ok, but if you don't know what I mean, I mean a code that only one person can use, once.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
~ AbeTGT
What most games do is create a single data store for codes everyone can use until a specific date. Especially with the higher data cap, they can save a history of tens of thousands of codes and never worry about space or creating multiple data stores for the same purpose.
- Yes, but that's just like the plain old redeeming codes system. Also my game will probably never get that big, I was just wondering if it's possible.
If they have their own website, I'm pretty confident in saying they have an off-site system and reference the codes in-game through the use of HttpService.

PiForUAll

Exemplar Member
May 4, 2019
blue land · he/him
Roblox
PiForUAll
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
~ AbeTGT

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
~ AbeTGT
If they have their own website, I'm pretty confident in saying they have an off-site system and reference the codes in-game through the use of HttpService.
And it's probably mostly larger games (like piggy of course)