how u can learn how to script | Roblox Forum
Welcome to the Forums!
Join thousands of other Roblox members with a free account.
Create Forum Account

how u can learn how to script

• This website was created by Roblox members to replace the official forums because Roblox shut them down! Join our community if you like to talk about Roblox!
Status
Not open for further replies.

trains

Jul 9, 2020
littleroot town, hoenn
Roblox
BhadTrains
i've been noticing a wave of very basic/simple posts in the scripting section of the forums and i decided i should make this post just to inform them on how they can learn how they can script on roblox. (i was gonna name this how u can learn lua but i guess i'll be even more simple) (yes, this was a reply on a post that i made myself so credits to myself :D)
the original thread that i replied to: https://robloxforum.com/threads/looking-for-helpers.51046/

in my opinion, if you're trying to learn to script, learn lua from the official sources 1st.

you might be wondering what lua is and here's a really basic explanation for what it is:

basically lua is the scripting language roblox uses, specifically lua 5.1. but roblox has a modified version of it called rbx lua or luau, but i just say lua.

ok there's the explanation

so, if you want a few links to official lua sources, here's some:
http://lua-users.org/ -the wiki for lua
lua.org -the official lua site, i highly recommend going and looking through the lua 5.1 manual and specifically the complete syntax.

when you're done, there's also some nice sources on the app store (i have an iphone so this is from apple's app store)

codeplayground is great, just switch to the lua mode and you can look at tutorials and other stuff.
touchlua is great as well, using the lua users wiki as well. but if you go to the tutorial page, it will say 5.2 instead of 5.1 so just change it to 5.1. i think the app uses 5.2.

after that, you should browse the roblox developer hub (Roblox Developer Hub - learn how to create games on the Roblox platform click or press it to go) and check the api, tutorials, etc. but mostly browse the api.

you should browse scriptinghelpers for your scripting problems but there's also extremely helpful guides.

there's youtubers like peaspod, thedevking, alvinblox (i dont like alvin personally), roblox themselves have tutorials in their youtube channel, scriptguider, shiroo, etc.

btw i was playing pokemon sun before i made the reply to that one thread with this so i paused doing the ugly ub looker quest and did this for them

i forgot to mention that alvin isn't really for beginners is a reason why i don't like him, he doesn't explain his lines of code very well.

in the original post, i never mentioned how good the dev forum is, but i don't have access to the dev forum cuz im cough 11. OMG AGE REVEAL LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

i honestly didn't know if i should post this in scripting or everything roblox but i guess i'll have it here

Reactions: WizardOfHills

trains

Jul 9, 2020
littleroot town, hoenn
Roblox
BhadTrains
a
Post automatically merged:

personally, before you learn lua i recommend learning another programming language first like python or c. c is the base for most programming languages and python is very simple and easy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
General
Help Users
    F Fedruz53: huh