random StarterCharacter | Roblox Forum
Welcome to the Forums!
Join thousands of other Roblox members with a free account.
Create Forum Account

random StarterCharacter

sandro480

Jun 25, 2020
Roblox
sandro480
i need help with making the StarterCharacters random. something like placing the characters in a folder and a script that chooses whitch one to be the character randomly every time someone respawns or joins.

CallMeKY

Ultra
Feb 25, 2018
Maine, USA
Roblox
CallMeKY
Discord
CallMeKY#5012
i need help with making the StarterCharacters random. something like placing the characters in a folder and a script that chooses whitch one to be the character randomly every time someone respawns or joins.

The easiest way I can think of to do this is a little hacky, but it works. First manually disable the CharacterAutoLoads property of Players. Then put a folder containing all your starter characters in ServerStorage. Then basically destroy any existing starter character and clone a random character to StarterPlayer right before you respawn the player.
Code:
local initialSpawnTime = 1
local respawnTime = 5

local starterPlayer = game:GetService('StarterPlayer')
local starterCharacters = game:GetService('ServerStorage'):WaitForChild('StarterCharacters'):GetChildren()
local connection

math.clamp(respawnTime, 3, math.huge) -- because of the 3 second wait in the died event

local function spawnCharacter(player)
    if starterPlayer:FindFirstChild('StarterCharacter') then
        starterPlayer.StarterCharacter:Destroy() -- destroys any existing starter character
    end
    local newCharacter = starterCharacters[math.random(1, #starterCharacters)]:Clone() -- selects a random character to clone
    newCharacter.Name = 'StarterCharacter' -- this needs to be named StarterCharacter to work
    newCharacter.Parent = starterPlayer -- sets the parent of the random character to starter player
    player:LoadCharacter() -- method to load character
end

local function playerDied(player)
    local waited = wait(3) -- waits 3 seconds and gets the actual time waited
    player.Character:Destroy()-- destroy character
    wait(respawnTime - waited)-- waits for respawn time minus time previously waited
    spawnCharacter(player) -- spawns character
end

game:GetService('Players').PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
    local connection -- i think this auto disconnects anyway, but i couldn't remember
    player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
        if connection then connection:Disconnect() end -- if connection exists, disconnect
        connection = player.Character:WaitForChild('Humanoid').Died:Connect(function() -- connects to the Died event
            playerDied(player) -- run playerDied on death
        end)
    end)
    wait(initialSpawnTime) -- you could also set this up to a play button remote event or something instead of a wait
    spawnCharacter(player) -- initial character spawn
end)

Reactions: sandro480
General
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    CosmicDev CosmicDev: ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex