Welcome to the Forums!
Join thousands of other Roblox members with a free account.
Create Forum Account

Trying to learn Roblox LUA

• This website was created by Roblox members to replace the official forums (because Roblox shut them down) Join us if you like Roblox!
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyp3r0bject

Jan 4, 2018
Does anyone know (Besides the scripting book they released) where i can learn LUA?

3Digital

Jan 4, 2018
Washington, DC
web.roblox.com
Roblox
Milllins
Discord
Milllins#2041
Scripting Book? They have that?! :D Well, ask your friend if they know, ask anybody if they can help teach you, older brother? Older sister? Your father? (If they know duh. lol)

BossK42

Jan 21, 2018
Youtube,
PeasFactory has some good videos and just look at FM scripts and try to see how they work.

ryanabom

Feb 11, 2018
Roblox
ryanabom
There are some great videos on YouTube people release full scripting guides there

Aztec

Feb 18, 2018
some crappy simulator game
Roblox
poltusi
Discord
pumped up kicks#9331
Okay, watching the youtube video once or twice might not help forever.
To really get it in your mind, you have to watch it and practice it over and over again.
im too lazy to do that
i kinda am looking for something where like
every now and then there's a project
and like they give feedback
and more teaching
and that kind of stuff

Breanna

Feb 11, 2018
From CandyLand.
Roblox
Lightbulb_u
Okay, watching the youtube video once or twice might not help forever.
To really get it in your mind, you have to watch it and practice it over and over again.
im too lazy to do that
i kinda am looking for something where like
every now and then there's a project
and like they give feedback
and more teaching
and that kind of stuff
True you have to practice it for you to actually know how to do it.

peanutbutter12344

Feb 11, 2018
Roblox
peanutbutter12344
Discord
KBenster#8998
The first thing I ever learned in Lua was how to play a sound.
I remember it clearly.
game.Workspace.Sound:Play()
simple, I know.

CallMeKY

Ultra
Feb 25, 2018
Maine, USA
Roblox
CallMeKY
Discord
CallMeKY#5012
Probably the best place to start is the Tutorials section on the Roblox wiki. This is the closest thing to a "Roblox Lua for Dummies" guide as I can think of, they start out assuming you have zero knowledge of game development and help you work your way up. When you get through each one, at the bottom of the page, there's a navigation area to jump right into the next step.

Once you start to know your way around, there's also a decent Tutorials section on the Roblox Developer Forum. This isn't a structured tutorial series; it's a collection of posts made by developers just trying to be helpful, but there's some pretty neat stuff in there. Unfortunately, that forum is read-only until you earn the privilege of contributing.

Finally, I'm not quite sure what you mean by posting projects and getting feedback and stuff... If you mean like a tutor situation, I've never come across something like that, short of paying for a tutor I guess. Maybe you could con someone within the community into teaching you, but on the off chance you find someone willing to set aside the time for it, they probably wouldn't do it for free. There is however ScriptingHelpers, where you can post any issues you're having and some talented developers may be able to assist you.

I know this probably isn't exactly what you were hoping for, but it's how myself and many others have learned. Practice makes perfect. Hope this helps :)

szkiller

Feb 28, 2018
Yuri land
Roblox
szkiller_dev
I started by using free models, after a very long time I realized that I can't become a real game developer if I can't script by myself so I scanned some scripts that I got from the free models I got and tried to understand how the whole script works, and there I started to learn how to script.

TBH scripting isn't really that hard, once you learned the basic fundamentals of scripting you can easily become on master of scripting.

REMEMBER: SCRIPTING IS SUPPOSED TO BE LEARNT NOT MEMORIZED!

szkiller

Feb 28, 2018
Yuri land
Roblox
szkiller_dev
I started by using free models, after a very long time I realized that I can't become a real game developer if I can't script by myself so I scanned some scripts that I got from the free models I got and tried to understand how the whole script works, and there I started to learn how to script, I even got to join the developer forum on my first application!

TBH scripting isn't really that hard, once you learned the basic fundamentals of scripting you can easily become on master of scripting.

REMEMBER: SCRIPTING IS SUPPOSED TO BE LEARNT NOT MEMORIZED!

Status
Not open for further replies.