Welcome to the Forums!
Join thousands of other Roblox members with a free account.
Create Forum Account

What should I start with?

• This website was created by Roblox members to replace the official forums (because Roblox shut them down) Join us if you like Roblox!
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvolvePhanom

Jun 29, 2020
Roblox
PhanomWTV
Posting this here because the official DevForum is stupid.

So I and my dev group have come up with an excellent idea (still searching for a modeller btw!). Everyone's who's been informed about our ROBLOX game idea showed some form of interest. We, the devs, all collectively came up with the idea and everyone had their own concepts and features to add to the game. As an experienced dev, I know that not organizing ideas often leads to the project being abandoned, so we set up a Trello and noted down all of our ideas and finished by all agreeing to one collective idea. Now, we've started development, however, it's a little bit messy and I'd like to tidy it up a bit. So, my question is how exactly should I proceed with the creation of my game? We've got the idea, it's only time to officialize it and start development, but I'm unsure of what we should start with and leave for last.

Thanks!

WizardOfHills

Jul 21, 2018
Roblox
WizardOfHills
Project management still is more an art than engineering. This is said despite software project management being classified as part of software engineering. The art is not to sink in analysis paralysis (overdo planning) and not to fail to plan (other extreme).

Think what you want to achieve, then how do you know you achieved it. This will give you an idea on how to validate it (fancy word for testing). The common wisdom is not to be cheep on resources (time) assigned to testing. Savings here will bite later. The real problem (costs) come when the developer leaves the team and problems surface well after she/he had left (aka bus effect). Then someone else has to fix or finish it. Unfortunately the costs of getting a new team member up to speed and running are prohibitive. Quite often it is more economical to rewrite the module from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.