Welcome to the Forums!
Join thousands of other Roblox members with a free account.
Create Forum Account

YouTube making dislike counts private; discussion/rant

• This website was created by Roblox members to replace the official forums (because Roblox shut them down) Join us if you like Roblox!

FaZecookie

play omori (he/him)
Ultra
Mar 1, 2018
your local bakery
www.youtube.com
Roblox
tombles_s
Discord
tom.#6141
YouTube has made a new update that may be one of the worst ones yet. YouTube has made dislike counts private on all videos, which is genuinely a horrible update. I just need to rant it all out here because I'm genuinely frustrated. I'll discuss this video that they've put out explaining why they decided to make this change, analyze it, and respond to it.
But unfortunately, research teams at YouTube have found there's this whole other use for disliking a video that I had never experienced as a creator and you may not have either. Apparently, groups of viewers are targeting a video's Dislike button to drive up the count. Turning it into something like a game with a visible scoreboard. And it's usually just because they don't like the creator or what they stand for.
First off, what research? No research is credited throughout the entire video. Are we just supposed to believe that YouTube has done a considerable amount of "research" to figure out if the dislike count has any effect? Secondly, dislike spamming is prevalent, and can hurt people's videos, but most of the time it's justified. As long as it's not bot account spamming the video, and it's actual people disliking the video, most of the time they have a valid reason, and that's been proven many times. Remember when the Fine Bros tried copyrighting reaction videos altogether? Or the "apology" that Logan Paul made in 2018 for filming a literal dead body on camera and putting it on YouTube? Or even the YouTube rewind back in 2018 that everyone hated! Most of the time, dislikes show that the creator has messed up with the video, and that their video isn't good. This IS good for the creator, as the creator can look at how they screwed up and be better from that. And it's good for the audience too, by showing them if the video is good or not. (Yes, the video mentioned that, but I still think it's an important thing.)
When the teams looked at the data across millions of viewers and videos in the experiment, they didn't see a noticeable difference in viewership regardless of whether they could see the dislike count or not.
Well, duh. You can't even see the dislike count unless you click on a video. And if you click on a video, that's counted as a view, no matter how long you watched it for (at least I think that's how it works).
In other words, it didn't really matter if a video had a lot of dislikes or not, they still watched.
If the video had a lot of dislikes, maybe the viewer wanted to see how bad the video was? Things on the internet usually get a lot more attention if it's linked to negativity or negative emotions. I can only think of a few positive things that the entirety of YouTube has focused on, but plenty of bad things, like the stuff mentioned in my first point. So, it does matter.
They [creators] can see it if they look for it inside Studio Analytics, under the Engagement tab, but overall, it's much less likely to cause stress and embarrassment [for the creator] if the count isn't visible to the public.
I think that in my opinion, creators shouldn't be embarrassed by this. They probably shouldn't even feel embarrassed by it. It's a sign that they screwed up, or that the video is just bad in general. And, creators already have an option to hide the like/dislike counts from their videos if they so please, so why are you doing this for all videos? This very much baffles and confuses me.
This again is about protecting all creators and making sure they have a chance to succeed and feel safe in doing so.
But it's not for all creators though?? Only some creators probably feel this way, so why are you even implementing this for everyone?
Honestly, I think you're gonna get used to it pretty quickly. And, keep in mind that other platforms don't even have a Dislike button.
That's what you say every time. And other platforms like Instagram or Twitter are completely different from YouTube. They don't need a dislike button because most other social media platforms are focused on short-form content, like pictures or tweets. YouTube is meant for longer videos. Sure, YouTube has the shorts feature, but it's mainly been about long form content, or content discussing things.

Overall, this update is just horrendous and YouTube has horrible reasoning for it. I just needed to rant about this because it's such a bad update. What do you think? Let me know in the replies below, and maybe we'll agree or disagree. Just remember to be civil and respect others' opinions.

Merulox

Top 0.0001% Member
Jun 16, 2020
Canada · Male
Roblox
Merutox
Discord
merulox#3011
relax bruh they're not oblivious to how bad of a decision it is
Their aim is to prevent videos from big corporations to get dislike spammed

Reactions: OpTicJuiceDrop

FaZeriko

Is literally 1984
Ultra
May 5, 2020
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Roblox
Riko_okiR
Discord
Masked Ruby#4945
YouTube has made a new update that may be one of the worst ones yet. YouTube has made dislike counts private on all videos, which is genuinely a horrible update. I just need to rant it all out here because I'm genuinely frustrated. I'll discuss this video that they've put out explaining why they decided to make this change, analyze it, and respond to it.
But unfortunately, research teams at YouTube have found there's this whole other use for disliking a video that I had never experienced as a creator and you may not have either. Apparently, groups of viewers are targeting a video's Dislike button to drive up the count. Turning it into something like a game with a visible scoreboard. And it's usually just because they don't like the creator or what they stand for.
First off, what research? No research is credited throughout the entire video. Are we just supposed to believe that YouTube has done a considerable amount of "research" to figure out if the dislike count has any effect? Secondly, dislike spamming is prevalent, and can hurt people's videos, but most of the time it's justified. As long as it's not bot account spamming the video, and it's actual people disliking the video, most of the time they have a valid reason, and that's been proven many times. Remember when the Fine Bros tried copyrighting reaction videos altogether? Or the "apology" that Logan Paul made in 2018 for filming a literal dead body on camera and putting it on YouTube? Or even the YouTube rewind back in 2018 that everyone hated! Most of the time, dislikes show that the creator has messed up with the video, and that their video isn't good. This IS good for the creator, as the creator can look at how they screwed up and be better from that. And it's good for the audience too, by showing them if the video is good or not. (Yes, the video mentioned that, but I still think it's an important thing.)
When the teams looked at the data across millions of viewers and videos in the experiment, they didn't see a noticeable difference in viewership regardless of whether they could see the dislike count or not.
Well, duh. You can't even see the dislike count unless you click on a video. And if you click on a video, that's counted as a view, no matter how long you watched it for (at least I think that's how it works).
In other words, it didn't really matter if a video had a lot of dislikes or not, they still watched.
If the video had a lot of dislikes, maybe the viewer wanted to see how bad the video was? Things on the internet usually get a lot more attention if it's linked to negativity or negative emotions. I can only think of a few positive things that the entirety of YouTube has focused on, but plenty of bad things, like the stuff mentioned in my first point. So, it does matter.
They [creators] can see it if they look for it inside Studio Analytics, under the Engagement tab, but overall, it's much less likely to cause stress and embarrassment [for the creator] if the count isn't visible to the public.
I think that in my opinion, creators shouldn't be embarrassed by this. They probably shouldn't even feel embarrassed by it. It's a sign that they screwed up, or that the video is just bad in general. And, creators already have an option to hide the like/dislike counts from their videos if they so please, so why are you doing this for all videos? This very much baffles and confuses me.
This again is about protecting all creators and making sure they have a chance to succeed and feel safe in doing so.
But it's not for all creators though?? Only some creators probably feel this way, so why are you even implementing this for everyone?
Honestly, I think you're gonna get used to it pretty quickly. And, keep in mind that other platforms don't even have a Dislike button.
That's what you say every time. And other platforms like Instagram or Twitter are completely different from YouTube. They don't need a dislike button because most other social media platforms are focused on short-form content, like pictures or tweets. YouTube is meant for longer videos. Sure, YouTube has the shorts feature, but it's mainly been about long form content, or content discussing things.

Overall, this update is just horrendous and YouTube has horrible reasoning for it. I just needed to rant about this because it's such a bad update. What do you think? Let me know in the replies below, and maybe we'll agree or disagree. Just remember to be civil and respect others' opinions.
Why did it take you half an hour to say 5 words

"Youtube removing dislikes is bad"

DominicFox101

Oct 2, 2021
I’m not giving important info so don’t ask
Roblox
DominicFox101
first off, i know people say "OMGMGMGMGMGM U WRITE TOO MUCH STOP MAKING URR STORIES SO LONG" yeah yeah shut up, now look at this guys 7ish paragraph statement on DISLIEKSSSDADAWDSEHGTSDARFTGTRE

second off i agree
it makes it hard to know whether or not a video is good or not. i may be falling for a scam, or i may be doing the wrong thing or... yeah. also this is a bigger impact for you since ur a youtuber and, im not, so i think i have less of a reason to be angry. and plus, dislikes are needed. on rf they are also needed. dislikes tell me what people like, and what people dislike. but, its also an opinion. if an opinion is silenced, and can not be heard, it is no longer an opinion.
if i cant share my opinion, i cant show it. and if i cant show it, it is now invalid in my eyes, and its just... my own thing i guess. yeah, the creator can see the dislikes, but... as i stated previously, is the creators video bad for me? the yt comment section works as good as the dislike button, but you cant even see the dislikes on the comments anymore. and plus, a comment gets silenced more easy. usually it gets pushed down to the bottom, to be ignored.

tl;dr, this SUCKS. I HATE THIS.

Reactions: AchievingAlex

Prowood02

Top 0.0001% Member
Feb 26, 2020
Australia
prowoodstuff.carrd.co
Roblox
Prowood02
Discord
ProwoodStuff#0317
relax bruh they're not oblivious to how bad of a decision it is
Their aim is to prevent videos from big corporations to get dislike spammed
They need to have visible dislikes, so then the user knows if it's a Clickbait video or not, yeah it was used with malicious intent but mostly it was used to help people know it's a misleading video or not.